A new year brings with it new resolutions. Most of us choose to adopt the health and fitness lifestyle by signing up for gyms. While we do stick to the gym regimen, the zeal of gym sessions wears out. So to avoid this, we’ve come up with simple and do yourself exercises to strengthen your core. No need for gym and trainer help.
We won’t get six-packs after these exercises but having a strong core has its merits. A strong core means having strong abdominal and back muscles. These muscles are essential for doing everyday tasks such as carrying a twenty-five-pound child or groceries. Working out your core prevents back pains and makes it easier to maintain a good posture.
These core exercises will also work out the pelvic muscles. A strong core makes everyday life seem easier especially physical activities. A quick checklist before doing the exercises:
- Core-strength exercises are better done on a mat/floor.
- Free and deep breathing is advised during the exercises. Doing this will help your muscles contract and release.
- These core-strength exercises should be done numerous times. The more you build up your core strength, increase the number of repetitions.
- Make sure to consult a medical practitioner if you have any health concerns.
Exercises to Strengthen Your Core
For this exercise you need to;
- Lie on the mat/floor with your back. Ensure your arms are next to your body and bend your knees. Your knees should be at ninety degrees.
- Use your abdominal muscles to lift your shoulders, head, and neck off the mat/floor.
- Lift your arms and reach for the roof.
- Begin periodically moving your arms down and up. This is known as a pulse
- Complete equal number of pulses on while inhaling and on exhaling. Perform four cycles like this.
This exercise comes in two variations; the Side and modified plank.
This exercise will work on your stability while improving your core strength. This is achieved by exercising the muscles on the side of your body. To do side planks you need to:
- Lie on one side of your body. Raise yourself and support your body with a forearm.
- Ensure your selected shoulder is above its corresponding elbow.
- Ensure your shoulders, knees, and hips are in alignment. Rest the free arm along your body.
- Contract your abs.
- Hold the pose for a couple of deep breaths.
- Do the same for the other side.
For this core exercise, you will need to
- Lie on your stomach.
- Using your forearms and your knees raise your body.
- Make sure your head and neck are aligned with your back. When that is done, place your shoulders straight from the elbows.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Use your elbows and knees to create resistance by pressing them towards each other. The elbows and knees should not move.
- Hold the position for a couple deep breaths.
- Move back to the original position and repeat.
As this is a fairly common exercise you can entertain yourself by trying out various trying the 30 day plank challenge.
The Cat/Cow exercise
For the cat/cow exercise, you need to
- Position your body on all fours.
- Exhale and push your back toward the ceiling. Drop your head on the mat/floor.
- Inhale while pulling your navel towards the spine. Hold that position momentarily. Drop your abdomen towards the floor. Lift your head from the mat.
- When you feel movement around the ribcage and chest, hold the position.
- Repeat for many cycles.
These exercises are simple to do and will strengthen your core in no time.